Last Updated on Tuesday, 18 February 2014 21:08
SUPERINTENDENT SCREENING COMMITTEE – PROCESS NOTES & TIMELINE
- School Boards: Adam Trevits (Albany); Toni Eubanks (Lake Region)
- Central Office Staff: Heather Wright (Business Manager); Kathy Poginy (Special Ed Director)
- Principals: Kim Hastings (Orleans); Andre Messier (Lake Region)
- Teachers: Heather Cole (Glover); Karen Devereux (Barton)
- Support Staff: Robin Kay (Irasburg); Brian Fecher (Brownington)
- Community: Cathy Wasklewicz (Westmore); Darlene Young (Glover)
CONSULTANT: Bob Stevens (Vermont School Board’s Association) – hired by the School Board to facilitate and organize the screening and search process. He will also be the main liaison between the committees and the candidates throughout the process. His role is not to select candidates for interview, but to oversee and offer expertise, guidance, and knowledge, when asked, from his 40+ years as an administrator in Vermont. He will not guide the Screening Committee or the Board towards or away from any specific candidates even if asked directly for his opinion.
- Thursday, January 16 (Organizational & overview of Committee’s role and task)
- Thursday, January 30 (Committee assesses strengths/needs of the SU and qualities desired of next superintendent) *
- Wednesday, February 5 (Committee comes up with interview questions)
- Tuesday, February 11 (Screening Committee selects candidates for 1st interview)
- Monday, February 17 (Screening Committee interviews candidates & selects Final Candidates to move on to the full Board for interview)
- Thursday, February 20 (If necessary meeting)
- Week of February 24-28 (Board Interviews Final Candidates) **
Meeting minutes will be posted on OCSU website. Meetings are public, but there will be obvious times for Executive Session (Interview questions; Interviews; discussion of candidates).
* Screening Committee members will solicit feedback from their constituents on the strengths/needs of the SU and the desired qualities of the next superintendent.
** On the day that the final candidates are interviewed, there will be mini open forums (30 minutes in length) where interested teachers, support staff, & community members will have the opportunity to meet and talk with each of the candidates. Following those forums, anyone present will have the opportunity to provide feedback to the consultant, which will then be shared with the Boards as they deliberate.
ROLE OF SCREENING COMMITTEE:
The SU full Board charges the Screening Committee with the authority to guide the initial superintendent screening process. The Screening Committee shall work with the VSBA Consultant to complete the screening process. The Screening Committee shall strive to present up to three (3) licensable candidates to the full Board that meet the search criteria established by the Board. The Screening Committee shall provide information on the finalist candidates’ experience, skills, and related background details to the Board, but shall not rank order the candidate list. The full Board retains the authority to hire the new superintendent.
Click here to download the January 16th Superintendent Screening Committee Meeting Minutes
Click here to download the February 11th Superintendent Screening Committee Meeting Minutes
Click here to download candidate Donald Van Nostrand's Résumé
Click here to download candidate Bruce Charles Labs' Résumé