10. - VSO Green Room Field Trip - One of the first field trip requests that I signed was for students to go on this field trip. If you’re not familiar with the Green Room Program (I wasn’t), it’s a program where students meet at the Eastside to have lunch with a composer, then attend a concert at the Haskell Opera House and a backstage tour after the concert. What a wonderful opportunity for our students!
9. – Photos from Parents - At the end of the first week of school some parents sent me photos of their children learning and playing with their classmates. This was the first opportunity these children have had to be integrated into a regular classroom and their parents were pleased with the quality of our program.
8. – Social Media - The social media plan committee has been working hard to get social media guidelines in place so that we can engage with the community using social media platforms in addition to websites and newsletters. Stay tuned for a roll-out of school and SU Facebook pages and Twitter accounts.
7. – Everybody Wins Vermont - I had the opportunity to meet with a representative from Everybody Wins Vermont and to discuss expanding that program in OCSU. Everybody Wins is a program where volunteer mentors come into a school to read with students. Currently only one of our schools participates in this program which has benefits far beyond just reading (think about students being able to make connections with caring adults).
6. – Personalized Learning - Some staff members worked together to think creatively about personalized learning in order to meet the needs of a student who was on the verge of needing to attend an alternative school. It’s so challenging to think about all the changes in education, but if we start with just one student it feels much more manageable.
2. – Disney Princesses - In another middle school classroom students were learning about Disney princesses and about how long it took before Disney featured a non-white princess. All students were actively participating in their learning as was evident by the conversations they were having. If you have a lesson on social justice issues that you’d like me to see, I’d love to be invited to observe it.
I know there are many, many more great things happening in OCSU. If you’d like to share the amazing things happening in your classroom or in your school please drop me a line so I can come and visit!