Below are responses to some of the patterns we saw in the feedback.
Many of you expressed a desire to explore the topic of race and racism more deeply and to help plan for ways to bring those conversations to the entire OCSU community. There is a group called Identity and Education that is working on this; please contact Steven Tatum (email@example.com) from LR if you’re interested in learning more.
We also received feedback about the concerns around the opiate crisis and the impact it’s having on our community. There is a group that meets regularly on this topic (the next meeting is Monday, Dec. 5th at 4:00 at LR); please contact Jeannette Birch (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
A number of you expressed a desire to work with colleagues across OCSU on common initiatives (personal learning plans, digital portfolios, student-led conferences). We are definitely open to suggestions about how/when that could happen. Please send me an email with your suggestions or contact a member of the OCSU Professional Learning Plan team (members are listed below).
There were some great suggestions for future in-service days that we’ll definitely keep in mind:
- I wish that if there was a big idea, we could do a work session for an hour afterward with that local expert to actually start thinking about and implementing next steps.
- One morning presentation followed by work time; one afternoon presentation followed by work time.
- More descriptive titles would be helpful - for example the grade level it is geared toward.
- total participation techniques – watch for another class coming in January or February
- academic conversations
- interactive notebooks
- social emotional learning
- formative assessment
- Google classroom
- Google Drive
Thanks to all of you who provided feedback. If you have specific questions/suggestions that weren’t addressed above or that you’d like more information about, please contact me, Jeff, or any of the members of the OCSU Professional Learning Plan team (Larry Fliegelman, Renee Piernot, Paul Simmons, Katrina McCullough, Kyle Chadburn, Sally Rivard, Carol Woodard). These people can all be reached via their OCSU email